Monday, September 14, 2009

Yes, I'm Still Alive...

This was a triumph...NO! No, no no no, I'm sorry....

Hm...I kinda left the "agnostic antitheistic" bit hanging, didn't I. Very well, let me continue.

Remember my "political viewpoints" post, when I noted that "Utopianism, in this life or the next, is for suckers"? That's not an apathetic excuse to bow myself out from making things better; it's merely a statement of what Patton noted: "the perfect is the enemy of the good". That, and, well, utopian thinking tends to be slightly...irrational.

Irrational utopianism leads to shoddy thinkers who can't defend why their utopias ought to be thought of as such rationally. At its absolute worst form, it leads to...really bad things. Inquisition, gulags, concentration camps (d'oh, Godwin's Law)--the idea of creating a heaven on earth (or a heaven in heaven) is perhaps one of the most seductive and destructive human tendencies EVAH.

No comments:

Post a Comment